Monday, 30 April 2007

The final quarter of my colour spray sheet

After I had overstamped three quarters of the colour spray sheet I decided that the last piece had too many colours for a detailed stamp so I chose a bolder flower stamp. I think it works well with this background. Good way to use up the sheet that I just sprayed to see what colour all the sprays were. I love the colours of the color mist sprays - they are so vibrant. Really need a good experiment with these I think. I'm sure they will be different on different surfaces.

Rose backgrounds

I have a 4x5 inch rose stamp and I wanted to see what kind of backgrounds I could make from it. I started with a resist technique bacause it happened to be fresh in my mind and it wasn't really bold enough for the versamark and dye ink I usually do. I thought I'd try embossing with silver powder and then put some ink over the top. The results didn't have enough contrast really - the final ones posted here have had lots of layers of all sorts of inks where I was playing.

I then thought I'd get more contrast by using a lighter embossing powder so I used a very light one and then inked over the top. The result is shown here but I think that the reversed image is a little strange with this sort of stamp. It looks a bit spooky to me because I think the roses now look like eyes looking at me lol. I think both these resist techniques will probably look fine as backgrounds.

So then I resorted to the more obvious approach and coloured the card first using DTP and stamped over the top. Played around with the colours that's all.

Then in my box of half finished things I found the card where I'd tried out the outside the margins colour sprays that I got recently but haven't used properly yet. I overstamped on a couple of parts of it. I've posted the ones that I like. There is one that didn't work so well, I think because it had too many different colours and it needed a plainer background for such a detailed stamp. It really was a random sheet where I'd just sprayed colours to see what they looked like.

That was all for that session. I was hoping to get some backgrounds to use for the personalised swap on ccswaps. My partner likes chocolate, pastel colours, flowers and gardening so I was wondering whether I could get a set of three ATCs co-ordinated including these three things. Needs some more work on that.

Sunday, 22 April 2007


I got an encaustic iron and some wax for my birthday yesterday so I spent a while this morning playing to see what I could come up with
I did some of the classic encaustic landscapes - need lots more practice of course but was quite pleased with these two

Friday, 20 April 2007

Journal page

My first attempt at a Teesha Moore type journal page. It is a little empty compared to hers but it's a start

Some quick cards

I needed a couple of congratulations cards so I used the dtp and collage approach for some blocks on these (thanks Trish for this idea). I love this combination of colours at the moment.

Resist ATCs

I have been trying to catch up with my swaps having been away for a while. Here are the resist ATCs for and swap and some extras. In the past I've always overstamped the resist image but with these I found that the stamps I was using were too detailed and it just confused the images. I've just left them as a resist. I like that with this type of stamp.