Saturday, 9 August 2008

Fabric paper

I had a go at making some fabric paper based on Beryl Taylors work that was pointed out by Adrienne who has a swap going on one of the swap groups. I used Tyvek as the base layer. I didn't have any printed tissue paper so I stamped some plain tissue paper for the patterned layer. The recipe is tyvek, watered down PVA all over, small pieces of patterned tissue paper, more glue, a whole sheet of plain tissue paper, more glue then colour. Then I left them on a non stick sheet to dry overnight. These are the results.



This first one is the how not to do it example. I used posh inks straight onto the top glue layer and it was far too dark and it all started to split and fall apart when I tried to dab some colour off. So the moral of the story is to use diluted colours lol.

This one started with a coloured layer because my brush still had ink on from the previous attempt so the glue turned a bluey colour. I finished the colour in top layer with a colour spray.


These are the next days attempts and I used well watered down fluid acrylics for the coloured layer and so the pattern showed through more.

6 comments:

Adrienne Goodenough said...

Well done, Fiona - and the last 2 are to die for...

Carol said...

Gorgeous and thanks for the tips.

Annie said...

Love the last two Fiona, this is on my list to do in the next couple of weeks...in time to sign for the swap if it turns out ok!

chrissy said...

I think your fabric paper turned out fabulous!!! I gave it a try, but they were so bad I threw them out.
chrissy

WendyK said...

Great set of papers, the colours are gorgeous

~*~Patty Szymkowicz said...

Your BTaylor papers are wonderful! I was lucky enough to take her class this year in May here in VA. She is so lovely and sharing, very talented too of course! I must say, your first rich color sample is lovely too!